When it comes to replacing teeth, dental implants are the best option. They will provide you with a reliable and long-lasting solution compared to other tooth replacement options. Unlike traditional dentures or dental bridges, dental implants offer many benefits that go beyond aesthetics. Dr. E. Taylor Meiser, a local dentist in Annapolis, MD discusses the top 6 benefits of dental implants.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- Enhanced Oral Health: Dental implants contribute to better oral health. To place a dental bridge, your dentist will need to permanently alter adjacent healthy teeth to provide room for the restoration. To secure an implant secured restoration, your dentist will not need to alter any adjacent teeth. Bridges and dentures also do not replace teeth at the root and this can lead to bone loss in the jaw. A dental implant will act as a tooth root providing enough stimulation for the bone. This will prevent bone loss and maintain the structural integrity of the jawbone.
- Restored Chewing Function: Dental implants are firmly anchored into the jawbone which provides the dental restoration with stability and strength. This allows the patient to enjoy a near-natural chewing level. They can enjoy a variety of foods and a well-balanced diet. Denture wearers often have to abide by many food restrictions due to their denture’s limitations. Better biting and chewing abilities also lead to better digestion and nutritional health.
- Speech Improvement: Having missing teeth can make it difficult to pronounce and enunciate certain sounds. Dentures tend to slip around or shift inside the mouth which leads to slurred words and difficulty speaking. However, Dental implants provide a stable and reliable foundation for false teeth to help patients speak normally. They help keep proper teeth alignment and facilitate proper tongue movement that will allow patients to communicate clearly.
- Aesthetics and Self-Confidence: Dental implants are the next best thing to natural teeth. They will function most like natural teeth as well as feel like them. They offer remarkable aesthetics compared to dentures and dental bridges. Patients who choose dental implants instead of dentures eliminate the worry of slippage, slurring, and other embarrassing moments. They can laugh, smile, speak, and eat in front of other people with ease. This can significantly boost self-confidence and improve social interactions.
- Durability and Longevity: Dental implants are meant to last forever. They are made from biocompatible materials, such as titanium, and will integrate with your jawbone. This forms a strong, permanent bond. With proper oral hygiene and regular dental care, your dental implants will last a lifetime. Because of this, they may even eventually be more cost-effective than other solutions in the long run.
- Preserves the Facial Structure: Missing teeth and other tooth replacement solutions will slowly cause the bone to deteriorate in the jaw. Bone loss in the jaw will cause your mouth to collapse into your face, your chin to appear more pointed, and deep wrinkles to form around the mouth. This tends to make people age prematurely. Since dental implants prevent bone loss, your facial features will be preserved.
As you can see, there are many benefits of dental implants ranging from improved oral health to better chewing abilities to improved self-confidence. With their longevity and durability, Dr. Meiser will suggest dental implants to his patients in Annapolis, MD who are missing teeth. Call Lighthouse Family Dentistry today at 410-324-7287 to book a dental implant consultation. You can also request an appointment with Dr. Meiser on our website.